Thursday, May 15, 2008

First Year of Teaching

This has been one of the most interesting first year's of teaching. I would not have thought it would be anything like this. I thought it would be full of second guessing, asking for help, and having my hand held the whole time. I also thought I would be there everyday and night until the wee wee hours. I thought I would have no life at all. But somehow I have managed to have a life and do it all on my own. I don't have anyone holding my hand or telling me what to do, well besides the principal, but I can't believe it.

I have worked along side some wonderful people this year and made great great friends. I have had loads of drama thrown my way, but somehow made it through. It has been a learning experience, but as one professor once said," You learn so much more in your first year of teaching than you ever learned in four years of college." So I guess I have learned enough now and I can't believe that year two will start on August 13th.

I signed a contract to come back for my next year and I just can't believe it all is happening. I love these kids so much and I don't want to send them on to third grade. I want to keep them forever and ever. They are so important to me and they love me so much. My little gangster or troublemaker is giving me hugs all the time now, but does it real quick so no one can see it. It is so cute. And then my cutest little girl loves to hug me constantly and wants me to hold her. When I pick her up or hug her, she has to have me on her level so she can place her cheek on mine. I am going to miss them. Today when we were doing a principal appreciation thing, I wanted to cry because I love these kids. I don't know if I could leave anytime soon. It just makes me wonder what I have gotten myself into here. Oh well I love it.

Then lastnight I went to a movie with a friend. He is great. I really am glad that I was introduced to him. He makes me laugh at life and at myself. I like it alot.

So I guess I under estimated myself. I can do it. I can teach all by myself and I can have a life outside of school, even though I didn't leave until 6 tonight, but hey I can do it. But wow what a first year.

Oh and today we watched the kindergarteners do their dress rehearsal and it made me cry. I can't believe that they were the students I had when school started. I wish I was still there with them, but I love the group I have now.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Amen sista! You have had QUITE a first year of teaching! I am sad we didn't get to keep our first scenerio of 14 kids per three kindergarten classrooms, but it all worked out. I think you are the PERFECT 2nd grade teacher. You have a way with them that just fits that age group. As much drama as there has been, I think you did wonders for those kids! Pat yourself on the back girl! You did good!